Tuesday, 29 August 2017

A Nomads Diary



Nomad [noh-mad] - a member of a people or tribe that has no permanent abode but moves about from place to place, usually seasonally and often following a traditional route or circuit according to the state of the pasturage or food supply.

In previous posts, I have briefly touched upon my roots and my cultural background - a quarter Portuguese/ Mozambican, and half Ethiopian. If you were to dig not too deep you would find that my family on my father's side also has Indian blood running through their veins and hence why I have long and thick dark hair (at least that is what I like to think). As for my mothers' side, you would find roots back to Israel where my great-grandmother was from - and how fascinating is that? To think that we live in a world where racism still has a place to thrive when in fact if you took the time to look back into your family tree you would be surprised by a thing of two, but that is a discussion for some other time. So let's go back to the purpose of this blog post - being a nomad.

Although having a mixed and variety of cultures on my back whilst my passport only stating that I am Norwegian, I could never bring myself to pick a country which I felt I belonged most if you were to ask me, and this is a question which often pops up during conversations. Where do you feel you belong to? Do you feel truly Norwegian after living there for 10 years? What about Portugal, would you ever move back? Is England your new home then? These are all fair question to ask because if you were to look at my journey from the very beginning until today's date, it does seem like I have been touring the world like a one-man-circus, but where do I belong and what place feels like home? As many time as I have been asked this question I still don't have a clear answer to give you. The only thing I can say is that I wouldn't want it any other way because I believe that it has shaped me as a person and made me more open-minded and respectful of things that are different. But isn't not confusing at times to not feel like you belong to one particular country or place you might ask? Personally, I think it is only what you make of it but I must admit that during moments where I take time to myself and try to discover my 'the real me' it sometimes makes it harder not knowing where your 'compass' leads you to. But again, if the only 'problem' I have is that I have too many countries to choose from, then I think I am luckier than I realise. To be able to pack my bags and say I will now visit my family in Portugal, Ethiopia, Norway, or England without hesitating and being able to enjoy my stay as a local - not many are in the same position to do so and I think it's important to be grateful rather than questions and doubting my belonging.   Something I believe goes both ways as having friends from all over the world does put in perspective. For example, when talking to a couple of friends or new people they always wish to have had the opportunity to have lived in different countries and learned differents language - but why not appreciate the opportunities that you know have to do so and be grateful for wanting to travel and learn about new cultures? Not implying that if you were born and raised in one place you are ungrateful, but the fact that you now days can get a flight ticket for £30 - it opens up to so many opportunities than ever before.

With the world becoming smaller and smaller having knowledge and understanding of what is new and different to what you are used to is never a bad thing. It makes the world bigger and more interesting as well as helping us take a step in the right direction. The world now days seems to be taking two steps forward and four steps back, making it impossible to look at a future with a positive insight. So I believe it's important for the generation to come to have a better understanding of the world around us and help to keep it a place where violence, racism, and war is not in power.


What are your travel plans for the rest of the year?




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig